Friday, October 13, 2006

Christies letting us inside

By:Jim Williams, The Examiner
Oct 13, 2006 5:00 AM (3 hrs ago)
Current rank: # 5 of 7,802 articles

WASHINGTON - Doug Christie made a name for himself as a defensive-minded shooting guard for six different NBA teams.


But that was before his wife, Jackie, entered the picture. Now Doug is known as the NBA player whose wife travels with him on the road; as in she follows directly behind the team bus in her car.

What is the big deal about a wife traveling with her husband?

Well, it seems sports talk show hosts and columnists nationwide think Doug might be the most whipped husband in sports.

BETJ is giving you a behind-the-scenes look at this husband-wife team in new reality show “The Christies Committed” on Thursday nights at 10.

Recently, I spoke to Doug and Jackie about the show they feel will explain to doubters that theirs is a love story, not a comedy

» Doug on why so much has been made of Jackie traveling with him on the road in the NBA:

“It is a macho thing, the fact that NBA players are thought to be womanizers. The fact that I love my wife and that we enjoy traveling together is somehow a bad thing is amazing to me. This gives me a chance to see my wife and kids. How can that be bad?”

» Jackie on how the players treated her on the road

“The players have been supportive and in Sacramento, guys were great. They called me the team mascot and often asked about marriage. So to be honest I have never had a player in any way be rude to me; it’s a great treat for both Doug and me.”

I have seen previews of the show and it is an in-depth look at the Christies’ unique relationship. It’s different but entertaining.

Jim Williams is a seven-time Emmy Award-winning TV producer, director and writer.
Examiner

No comments: